7 Ways to Align Your Actions With Your Goals
"The biggest adventure you can take is to live the life of your dreams." - Oprah Winfrey
Recently, I've started making weekly goals and writing them down in my bullet journal. I think it's important so that I can see everything that I want to get done in that week. Putting it on paper and seeing it every time I look at my schedule.
Even thought I do this, I've still been having a hard time making myself get them done. In my head, I have my whole life planed out. I know exactly what I need to do to get to where I want to be mentally and physically and yet, I don't do any of it.
I had this whole weekend planned out, It was perfect. But none if it happened, only the fun bits, not the work bits. I'm disappointed with myself. In an effort to help myself with a problem, I am reaching to help others.
So, I put together a list of things that might help me get up and get going with my goals.
Here they are-
- If you're thinking about it, do it. - This is for those moments when you're laying in bed thinking about stuff that you have to do but don't feel like doing. I'm challenging us all to get up and do it. Be it the gym, the dishes, giving the dog at bath, etc. In the words of Shia Labeouf, "Do it".
- Write down what needs to be done. - I sometimes find that this is easier to do the night before. All of my work seems to be on my mind right before bed, so much so, that it will keep me up a little bit longer thinking about it. Write it down and get it out of your head. I know this is a hard one. I think will work best for me instead of doing it a week in advance, to try and do it daily.
- Be positive.- A positive mindset about the week, the day, or even a certain task that you're doing can go a long way. Sometimes we get so caught up in our mind that we don't let out bodies work. Let's be positive about what we're doing, and see the changes it bring. Ex- class assignments that are long and boring, the positive is that once you do it, it's done and you can delete from your brain.
- Set a bed time. - I realize that we are all probably adults, but sleep is important. A lot of the time we skip out on it because other things seem to pile up at the end of the day. Stress levels are raised and functioning capabilities are lowered when we are tired, if we want to be our best selves we need to get rest, so set a bed time. This way, the next morning, you can start meet your goals after being well rested.
- 10 minutes to clean- For me, I let things pile up until I can't take the mess anymore. It usually ends with a whole day wasted cleaning up a space that should've been clean months ago. Just take 10 minutes to tidy up your space. You can even time it. I know that when I am deep into procrastinating, I will clean so I don't have to do whatever it is that I'm putting off. If my space is already clean, I can't use cleaning as a tool of distraction.
- A quote.- Write one down when planning the night before. I love quotes, I think they can set the tone for a good day. If everyday we have a positive thought in out minds, we can think on it at the times when we really just don't want to do anything. It can be the same one, like a mantra that you can chant when times get hard or just a quote that means something to you and will help you to remember your goals. I have two for today, the first one on this post, and the second one is, “Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not. We never are. But that’s not the right question. The question is are we living a life that is worth the harm?”- Joseph Fink.
- Choose- Making decisions can be hard. I think a lot of people my age don't feel like we can make decisions without feeling like someone is going to step in and tell us that we are wrong without any help on how to make things right. I'm an adult, but like a fake one. I am just starting to learn how to choose. With that being said, we have to choose if we want to live our lives to the fullest. It's always nice to think that the path is paved and we will walk it with no trouble. But it's not. We will have to work for what we want. We have to choose to go get it. Choose to do it. Choose to be more.
Yeah. These are just some things that popped up into my head. I hope they can help you. This is not your average lifestyle blog. I'm looking for answers too. I hope this list helps me as well.
Thanks for reading. It means a lot.
* Originally posted on October 22, 2017 on chantiesetyler.wordpress.com.